The transcriptional regulation of human SOX genes expression has been a long-standing major interest of the Laboratory for Human Molecular Genetics (LHMG). Ongoing research projects are focused on the roles of human SOX genes in processes of in vitro neurogenesis and oncogenic transformation of cells. Also, we study complex interplay of transcription factors, epigenetic mechanisms and different signaling pathways (Sonic Hedgehog – SHH and Wnt) involved in the control of human SOX genes expression. The current research will provide further insights into the roles of human SOX genes in cell pluripotency maintenance, differentiation, proliferation, migration, adhesion and apoptosis.
LHMG conduct analyses of variability of mitochondrial DNA, which present foundation for analysis of diversity of contemporary Serbian population, as well as, for further comparative research of ancient populations that inhabited Serbia area.
One of our research interests is focused on testing the bioactive components from plants and edible mushrooms and analyzing their therapeutic potential by applying in vitro tests for cytotoxity, antioxidative activity, cell adhesion and cell migratory capacity.
LHMG provides molecular diagnostics of microdeletion syndromes using Fluorescent in situ Hybridization (FISH), analyses of DNA fragmentation of spermatozoids which complements the existing protocols for sterility therapy and genetic markers assisted selection for economic trait loci in domestic animals.
LHMG is modern well-equipped laboratory with highly competent researchers in the field of human molecular genetics.
- Studying signal transduction pathways and epigenetic mechanisms that control human SOX genes expression: further insight into their roles in cell fate determination and differentiation
Principal Investigator: Dr Milena Stevanovic, IMGGE
- Ethnogenesis of the Serbs during the Middle Ages (until c.1250): a comparative analysis of the historic-cultural heritage, genetic material and artefacts of material culture from the aspect of analytical chemistry
Principal Investigator: Dr Irena Cvijanovic, The Institute of History Belgrade
- Comparative studies on the in vitro neural differentiation of embryonic stem and embryonic carcinoma cells using expression profiling and cell interaction analysis
EVB. F23, Serbian Academy of Sciences and Arts
Principal Investigator: Prof. Ljubisa Rakic, Serbian Academy of Sciences and Arts
- Davidovic S, Malyarchuk B, Aleksic J, Derenko M, Topalovic V, Litvinov A, Skonieczna K, Rogalla U, Grzybowski T, Stevanovic M, Kovacevic-Grujicic N. Mitochondrial super-haplogroup U diversity in Serbians. Ann Hum Biol. 2017 Feb 19:1-11. doi: 10.1080/03014460.2017.1287954. [Epub ahead of print]
- Petrovic I, Milivojevic M, Popovic J, Schwirtlich M, Rankovic B, Stevanovic M. SOX18 Is a Novel Target Gene of Hedgehog Signaling in Cervical Carcinoma Cell Lines. PLoS One. 2015;10(11):e0143591.
- Davidovic S, Malyarchuk B, Aleksic JM, Derenko M, Topalovic V, Litvinov A, Stevanovic M, Kovacevic-Grujicic N. Mitochondrial DNA perspective of Serbian genetic diversity. Am J Phys Anthropol 2015;156(3):449-465.
- Mojsin M, Topalovic V, Vicentic JM, Schwirtlich M, Stanisavljevic D, Drakulic D, Stevanovic M. Crosstalk between SOXB1 proteins and WNT/β-catenin signaling in NT2/D1 cells. Histochem Cell Biol 2015;144(5):429-441.
- Stanisavljevic N, Samardzic J, Jankovic T, Savikin K, Mojsin M, Topalovic V, Stevanovic M. Antioxidant and antiproliferative activity of chokeberry juice phenolics during in vitro simulated digestion in the presence of food matrix. Food Chem 2015;175:516-522.
- Vastagh C, Schwirtlich M, Kwakowsky A, Erdélyi F, Margolis FL, Yanagawa Y, Katarova Z, Szabó G. The spatiotemporal segregation of GAD forms defines distinct GABA signaling functions in the developing mouse olfactory system and provides novel insights into the origin and migration of GnRH neurons. Dev Neurobiol 2015;75:249-270.
- Kovacevic-Grujicic N, Mojsin M, Popovic J, Petrovic I, Topalovic V, Stevanovic M. Cyclic AMP response element binding (CREB) protein acts as a positive regulator of SOX3 gene expression in NT2/D1 cells. BMB Rep 2014;47:197-202.
- Mojsin M, Vicentic JM, Schwirtlich M, Topalovic V, Stevanovic M. Quercetin reduces pluripotency, migration and adhesion of human teratocarcinoma cell line NT2/D1 by inhibiting Wnt/beta-catenin signaling. Food Funct 2014;5:2564-2573.
- Popovic J, Stanisavljevic D, Schwirtlich M, Klajn A, Marjanovic J, Stevanovic M. Expression analysis of SOX14 during retinoic acid induced neural differentiation of embryonal carcinoma cells and assessment of the effect of its ectopic expression on SOXB members in HeLa cells. PLoS One 2014;9:e91852.
- Popović V, Živković J, Davidović S, Stevanović M, Stojković D. Mycotherapy of cancer: an update on cytotoxic and antitumor activities of mushrooms, bioactive principles and molecular mechanisms of their action. Curr Top Med Chem 2013;13:2791-2806.
- Drakulic D, Krstic A, Stevanovic M. Establishment and initial characterization of SOX2-overexpressing NT2/D1 cell clones. Genet Mol Res 2012;11:1385-1400.
- Mojsin M, Popovic J, Kovacevic Grujicic N, Stevanovic M. TG-interacting factor (TGIF) downregulates SOX3 gene expression in the NT2/D1 cell line. J Genet Genomics 2012;39:19-27.
- Cuturilo G, Menten B, Krstic A, Drakulic D, Jovanovic I, Parezanovic V, Stevanovic M. 4q34.1-q35.2 deletion in a boy with phenotype resembling 22q11.2 deletion syndrome. Eur J Pediatr 2011;170:1465-1470.
- Jovicić D, Milacić S, Vukov TD, Rakić B, Stevanović M, Drakulić D, Rakić R, Bukvić N. Detection of premature segregation of centromeres in persons exposed to ionizing radiation. Health Phys 2010;98:717-727.
- Mojsin M, Stevanovic M. PBX1 and MEIS1 up-regulate SOX3 gene expression by direct interaction with a consensus binding site within the basal promoter region. Biochem J 2010;425:107-116.
- Petrovic I, Kovacevic-Grujicic N, Stevanovic M. Early growth response protein 1 acts as an activator of SOX18 promoter. Exp Mol Med 2010;42:132-142.
- Popovic J, Klajn A, Petrovic I, Stevanovic M. Tissue-specific Forkhead protein FOXA2 up-regulates SOX14 gene expression. Biochim Biophys Acta 2010;1799:411-418.
- Petrovic I, Kovacevic-Grujicic N, Stevanovic M. ZBP-89 and Sp3 down-regulate while NF-Y up-regulates SOX18 promoter activity in HeLa cells. Mol Biol Rep 2009;36:993-1000.
- Cuturilo G, Drakulic D, Stevanovic M, Jovanovic I, Djukic M, Miletic-Grkovic S, Atanaskovic-Markovic M. A rare association of interrupted aortic arch type C and microdeletion 22q11.2. Eur J Pediatr 2008;167:1195-1198.
- Nikcevic G, Savic T, Kovacevic-Grujicic N, Stevanovic M. Up-regulation of the SOX3 gene expression by retinoic acid: characterization of the novel promoter-response element and the retinoid receptors involved. J Neurochem 2008;107:1206-1215.
Vojvode Stepe 444a
P.O BOX 23,
11010 Belgrade, Serbia
Tel:+381 11 3976212,
Faks:+381 11 3975808