Institute of molecular genetics and genetic engineering (IMGGE),
University of Belgrade
V. Stepe 444a, P.Fah 23, 11010 Belgrade, Serbia
Mobile: +381 65 397 62 12
Phone: +381 11 397 62 12
Fax: +381 11 397 58 08
2006 - PhD in Biochemistry,Faculty of Medicine and Surgery,University of Milan, Italy (THESIS: “Searching for Master Gene(s) Governing Neurosecretion Competence”)
2001 - M.Sc. in Molecular Biology and Physiology, Faculty of Biology, University of Belgrade
2009 - Research Associate,Laboratory for Human Molecular Genetics,IMGGE,University of Belgrade
2002 - 2008 - PhD student, Laboratory for Cellular and Molecular Neurobiology, San Raffaele Scientific Institute, Milan, Italy
2012 - Lecturer on Faculty of Biology, University of Belgrade, Course in Molecular Biology of Genes, PhD programme in Molecular Biology
2010 - 2011 - Short-term postdoctoral specialization at San Raffaele Scientific Institute, Milan Italy, as a winner of fellowship for young postdoctoral researchers organized by Serbian Ministry ofScienceandTechnological Development
2013 - Member of Serbian Neuroscience Society
The main research field is cellular and molecular neurobiology. The PhD work was focused on transcriptional repressor REST/NRSF and its role in the acquisition and maintenance of neurosecretion competence. Further studies also included the role of this transcription factor in other fundamental cellular processes such as proliferation and alternative splicing of mRNA. More recent work has been focused on the studies of the regulation of expression and function of the human SOXgenes. In particular, the main research interest includes SOX genes and their roles in neural differentiation as well as oncogenesis.
- Expression analysis of SOX14 during retinoic acid induced neural differentiation of embryonal carcinoma cells and assessment of the effect of its ectopic expression on SOXB members in HeLa cells. Popovic J, Stanisavljevic D, Schwirtlich M, Klajn A, Marjanovic J, Stevanovic M.PLoS One. 2014 Mar 17;9(3):e91852.
- Dual REST-dependence of L1CAM: from gene expression to alternative splicing governed by Nova2 in neural cells. Mikulak J, Negrini S, Klajn A, D'Alessandro R, Mavilio D, Meldolesi J.J Neurochem. 2012 Mar;120(5):699-709.
- A signaling loop of REST, TSC2 and β-catenin governs proliferation and function of PC12 neural cells. Tomasoni R, Negrini S, Fiordaliso S, Klajn A, Tkatch T, Mondino A, Meldolesi J, D'Alessandro R. J Cell Sci. 2011 Sep 15;124(Pt 18):3174-86.
- Tissue-specific Forkhead protein FOXA2 up-regulates SOX14 gene expression. Popovic J, Klajn A, Petrovic I, Stevanovic M.Biochim Biophys Acta. 2010 May-Jun;1799(5-6):411-8.
- The rest repression of the neurosecretory phenotype is negatively modulated by BHC80, a protein of the BRAF/HDAC complex. Klajn A, Ferrai C, Stucchi L, Prada I, Podini P, Baba T, Rocchi M, Meldolesi J, D'Alessandro R. J Neurosci. 2009 May 13;29(19):6296-307
- Expression of dense-core vesicles and of their exocytosis are governed by the repressive transcription factor NRSF/REST. D'Alessandro R, Klajn A, Meldolesi J. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2009 Jan;1152:194-200.
- Expression of the neurosecretory process in PC12 cells is governed by REST.D'Alessandro R, Klajn A, Stucchi L, Podini P, Malosio ML, Meldolesi J. J Neurochem. 2008 May;105(4):1369-83.
- Non-secretory exocytoses in the brain. Cocucci E, Lorusso A, Ongania GN, Klajn A, Meldolesi J.J Physiol Paris. 2006 Mar-May;99(2-3):140-5.