Principal Research Fellow
Institute of molecular genetics and genetic engineering (IMGGE)
University of Belgrade
V. Stepe 444a, P.Fah 23, 11010 Belgrade, Serbia
Mobile: +381 64 8044082
Phone: +381 11 397 57 44
Fax: +381 11 397 58 08
1997 - PhD in Molecular Genetics and Genetic Engineering, Faculty of Biology (FB), UB (Biosynthesis of buckwheat storage proteins)
1982 - M.Sc. in Molecular Genetics and Genetic Engineering, FB, UB
1979 - B.Sc. in Biology, FB, University of Belgrade
2005 - Principal Research Fellow Laboratory for Plant Molecular Biology , IMGGE
2000 - senior research associate, IMGGE
1998 - research associate , IMGGE
1986 - research assistant, IMGGE
1985 - research fellow at the Dept. Biochem. Mol. Biol. Harvard Univ. Cambridge, USA
1982-1984 - assistant at the Laboratory for Genetic Engineering, Institute “Galenika”,Belgrade
1980-1982 - teaching assistant, Faculty of Biology, University of Belgrade
2002-2011 - Head of Laboratory LPMB, IMGGE
2008 -2011 - Lecturer on Faculty of Biology, Molecular biology
2003-2011 - Representative of Republic of Serbia at EPSO (http://www.epsoweb.org/ )
2001-2012 - Member of Expert Council for Biological Safety, Ministry of Agriculture RS
2008-2012 - Member of Professional Board of Natural Sciences , BU
2006- 2010 - President of the Scientific Council of IMGGE
Analysis of gene expression regulation of buckwheat seed storage proteins ( seed specific and developmentally controlled), as well as metallothionein and aspartic proteinase, proteins of undefined functions that are possibly involved in protein degradation and processing and/or are part of the stress response.
Transcription factors (TF) that could play a important role in the stress response covering expression control of several genes belonging to DREB family from chosen crop species (Pisum sativum, Phaseolus vulgaris and Lolium perenne). Besides, special interest was concentrated on small RNA as crucial factor in stress response regulation.
In addition, we have been focused on molecular analysis of self-incompatibility (SI), which includes analysis of genetic diversity of wild populations of Prunus species (gametophyte SI), as well as dimorphic SI in buckwheat.
1. Jovanka Miljuš-Djukić, Nemanja Stanisavljević, Svetlana Radović, Živko Jovanović, Aleksandar Mikić and Vesna Maksimović (2013) Differential response of three contrasting pea (Pisum arvense, P. sativum and P. fulvum) species to salt stress: assessment of variation in antioxidative defence and miRNA expression.
AUSTRALIAN JOURNAL OF CROP SCIENCE, 7(13):2145-2153 http://search.informit.com.au/documentSummary;dn=801406649364396;res=IELHSS
2. Jovanović, Ž., Stanisavljević, N., Mikić, A., Radović, S., Maksimović, V. (2013): The expression of drought responsive element binding protein (DREB2A) related gene from pea (Pisum sativum L.) as affected by water stress. AUSTRALIAN JOURNAL OF CROP SCIENCE 7,1590-1596. http://search.informit.com.au/documentSummary;dn=619194823896120;res=IELHSS
3. Dragana B. Nikolić, Jelena T Samardžić, Ana M. Bratić_,Ivan P. Radin Srdjan P. Gavrilovic_,Thomas Rausch,i Vesna R. Maksimović (2010)
Buckwheat (Fagopyrum esculentum Moench) FeMT3 Gene in Heavy Metal Stress: Protective Role of the Protein and Inducibility of the Promoter Region under Cu2þ and Cd2þTreatments, JOURNAL OF AGRICULTURAL AND FOOD CHEMISTRY, 24; 58(6):3488-94 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20187605
4. Timotijevic Gordana S Milisavljevic Mira Dj Radovic Svetlana R Konstantinovic Miroslav M Maksimovic Vesna R, (2010), Ubiquitous aspartic proteinase as an actor in the stress response in buckwheat, JOURNAL OF PLANT PHYSIOLOGY, 167, 61-68.http://europepmc.org/abstract/MED/19643510
5. Milisavljević Dj Mira Papić R Dražen Timotijević S Gordana Maksimović Vesna, (2009) Successful production of recombinant buckwheat cysteine-rich aspartic protease in Escherichia coli, JOURNAL OF THE SERBIAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY, 74, 607-618 http://www.doiserbia.nb.rs/Article.aspx?id=0352-51390906607M#.VE9qmyx0xpg
6. Bratić Ana M Majić Dragana B Samardžić Jelena T Maksimovic Vesna R , (2009)Functional analysis of the buckwheat metallothionein promoter: Tissue specificity pattern and up-regulation under complex stress stimuli, JOURNAL OF PLANT PHYSIOLOGY, 166, 996-1000.http://europepmc.org/search?query=JOURNAL%20OF%20PLANT%20PHYSIOLOGY%2C%20(2009)%2C%20166%2C%20996-1000.
7. Banović Bojana Šurbanovski Nada D Konstantinovic Miroslav M Maksimović R ,Vesna (2009) Basic RNases of wild almond (Prunus webbii): Cloning and characterization of six new S-RNase and one "non-S RNase" genes, JOURNAL OF PLANT PHYSIOLOGY, 166, 395-402.http://europepmc.org/search?query=JOURNAL%20OF%20PLANT%20PHYSIOLOGY%2C%20(2009)%2C%20%20166%2C%20395-402.
8. Milisavljević Mira Dj Timotijević Gordana S Radović Svetlana R Konstantinović Miroslav M Maksimovic R Vesna, (2008) Two types of aspartic proteinases from buckwheat seed - Gene structure and expression analysis, JOURNAL OF PLANT PHYSIOLOGY, 165, 983-990. http://europepmc.org/search?query=%2C%20JOURNAL%20OF%20PLANT%20PHYSIOLOGY%2C%20(2008)%2C%20165%2C%20983-990.
9. Šurbanovski Nada D Tobutt KR Konstantinović Miroslav M Maksimovic R Vesna Sargent DJ Stevanović Vladimir B Ortega E Bosković Radovan I , (2007) Self-incompatibility of Prunus tenella and evidence that reproductively isolated species of Prunus have different SFB alleles coupled with an identical S-RNase allele, PLANT JOURNAL, 50, 723-734.http://europepmc.org/search?query=%2C%20PLANT%20JOURNAL%2C%20(2007)%2C%2050%2C%20723-734.
10. Milisavljević Mira Dj Konstantinović Miroslav M Brkljačić Jelena M Maksimović R Vesna , Isolation and computer analysis of the 5 '-regulatory region of the seed storage protein gene from buckwheat (Fagopyrum esculentum Moench), JOURNAL OF AGRICULTURAL AND FOOD CHEMISTRY, (2005), 53, 2076-2080. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15769138
11. Brkljačić M Jelena Majić B Dragana Miljuš-Djukić D Jovanka Bratić M A na Konstantinović M Miroslav Milisavljević Dj Mira Maksimovic R Vesna ,( 2005) The metallothionein-like gene from buckwheat: Structural and functional analysis of the promoter region, INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF PLANT SCIENCES, 166, 889900.http://europepmc.org/search?query=INTERNATIONAL%20JOURNAL%20OF%20PLANT%20SCIENCES%2C%20(2005)%2C%20166%2C%20889-900
12. Milisavljević Dj Mira Timotijević S Gordana Radović R Svetlana Brkljačić M Jelena Konstantinović M Miroslav Maksimovic R Vesna ,( 2004) Vicilin-like storage globulin from buckwheat (Fagopyrum esculentum Moench) seeds, JOURNAL OF AGRICULTURAL AND FOOD CHEMISTRY, 52, 5258-5262. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15291505
13. Miljuš-Djukić D Jovanka Ninković B Slavica Radović R Svetlana Maksimović R Vesna Brkljačić M Jelena Nešković Mirjana ,( 2004) Detection of proteins possibly involved in self-incompatibility response in distylous buckwheat, BIOLOGIA PLANTARUM, 48, 293-296.http://link.springer.com/journal/10535
14. Samardžić T Jelena Milisavljević Dj Mira Brkljačić M Jelena Konstantinović M Miroslav Maksimovic R Vesna , (2004) Characterization and evolutionary relationship of methionine-rich legumin-like protein from buckwheat, PLANT PHYSIOLOGY AND BIOCHEMISTRY, 42, 157-163.http://europepmc.org/search?query=PLANT%20PHYSIOLOGY%20AND%20BIOCHEMISTRY%2C%20(2004)%2C%2042%2C%20157-163.
15. Brkljačić M Jelena Samardžić T Jelena Timotijević S Gordana Maksimović R Vesna , (2004) Expression analysis of buckwheat (Fagopyrum esculentum Moench) metallothionein-like gene (MT3) under different stress and physiological conditions, JOURNAL OF PLANT PHYSIOLOGY, 161, 741-746. http://europepmc.org/search?query=JOURNAL%20OF%20PLANT%20PHYSIOLOGY%2C%20(2004)%2C%20161%2C%20741-746.
16. Timotijević Gordana S Radović Svetlana R Maksimović Vesna R ,(2003) Characterization of an aspartic proteinase activity in buckwheat (Fagopyrum esculentum moench) seeds, JOURNAL OF AGRICULTURAL AND FOOD CHEMISTRY, 51, 2100-2104.http://europepmc.org/search?query=JOURNAL%20OF%20AGRICULTURAL%20AND%20FOOD%20CHEMISTRY%2C%20(2003)%2C%2051%2C%202100-2104.
17. Radović, S., Maksimović, V., Brkljačić, J., Varkonji-Gašić, E., Savić, A. (1999), 2S albumin from buckwheat (Fagopyrum esculentum Moench) seeds, JOURNAL OF AGRICULTURAL AND FOOD CHEMISTRY, 47/4, 1467-1470 http://pubs.acs.org/doi/full/10.1021/jf980778s
18. Brkljačić,J., Maksimović,V., Radović,S., Savić,A., (1999) Identification of metallothionein-like cDNA clone from buckwheat, JOURNAL OF PLANT PHYSIOLOGY, 154,802-804http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0176161799802612
19. Radović, S., Maksimović, V., Varkonji, E. (1996) Characterisation of buckwheat seed storage proteins. JOURNAL OF AGRICULTURAL AND FOOD CHEMISTRY. 44(4), 972-975http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jf950655x
20. Maksimović, V., Varkonji-Gašić E., Radović S. and Savić A. (1996): Biosynthesis of 13S buckwheat seed storage protein. JOURNAL OF PLANT PHYSIOLOGY 147(6), 759-761http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0176161711814902